Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby



Book: The Twelfth Child


Author: Bette Lee Crosby


Release date (if applicable): May 21, 2012


Synopsis: Set in the 1920's (and a chunk of the story the recent past)The Twelfth Child is no different. I fell in love with the character Abigail Anne, a young woman who struggles against her father's ideas that women have their place and any form education, unless it has to do with cooking/cleaning, have no place for women. She is also struggling with the notion, real or imagined, that her father doesn't value nor love her. Desperate to save herself from an arranged marriage and to live her life independently, she makes some choices which could lead to some devastating consequences for her.

How does this affect Abigail as she grows and as an older woman??
Does she allow herself to fall prey to her caretaker Destiny?



My rating: 5 Stars


My opinion: I must say that I am really thankful to the Goodreads friend who introduced me to the writings of Bette Lee Crosby. Bette is one of those authors that it seems everything she touches (writes) turns to gold. It is one of the things that I love most about Goodreads, which is the ability to find new writers who I never outside this "little world" would have heard of.

Bette has the ability to write in a capability that puts the reader right within the story and one can visualize themselves observing the hurts and joys of the protagonist and his/her surrounding cast of characters. I also love the fact that each book, which could be considered of separate genres, are done through
Bette's portrays strong female characters without having ones who beat you across the head with an "I am woman hear me roar" mentality.


Would I recommend? : Absolutely. This book is so incredibly heartwarming. I couldn't help but cheer throughout numerous incidents in the book.


Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone




1 comment:

  1. Always happy to discover a "new" writer. Why the "Twelfth" child? I'll have to pick up the novel to find out. Thanks!

    Barbara
    www.barbarakrichardson.com

    ReplyDelete