Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly


Book: The Dark Rose

Author: Erin Kelly

Release date (if applicable): Released

Synopsis: Louisa has deep, dark secrets from her past very wild life. When she meets up with Paul, he has his own set of deep secrets that could land him and his best friend in prison. Can they continue to out run their secrets or will the past come up to nab them in the butt?!?!

My rating: 2 Stars

My opinion: I was so excited to see this new release from Erin Kelly. Her first book, The Poisoned Tree, was SO twisted that it was a "knock your socks off" type of read! I think I read it in 3 hours flat!One that left me even saying "WTH??" In my humble opinion this one fell flat to me though.

I felt her characters fell flat, which seemed to be a strength for this author, and I didn't connect with them. I thought, for the book being a psychological thriller, they main characters were kind of "meh". I know it is bad sign for me when I come to the end of the book and just really don't care what happens to the characters.  
On another point, I didn't feel that the was a "psychological" build up for the "genre" that this book was placed in was as strong as either her last book or what I would expect from the genre. Also, her timing fell flat to me. Not only did characters jump around, but the timeline did as well. It just really seemed to "stumble" around. This type of formatting can work, and I have read numerous books where the author has done this type of format masterfully, but this one did not work, again, in my humble opinion.

On a positive note, I still stand firm in my belief that this author is a brilliant star that we will still see excellent books out of. There is NO way that someone can write such a strong debut as THE POISONED TREE and then drop off the face of the  talent list in the literary world!

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Sad to say... no, not really.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment