Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Woman at the Light: A Novel by Joanna Brady


Book: The Woman at the Light: A Novel

Author: Joanna Brady

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Emily Lowry lives off Key West on a "lighthouse" island where she has acted as the lighthouse keeper since her husband disappeared. Enter a "runaway" slave who fits into the family perfectly and helps the family maintain their existence on the island. As to be expected, Andrew becomes a forbidden yet passionate love partner for Emily. Only in pre-Civil War, slavery accepting South...there are those against Emily and Andrew at every turn to her face and behind the scenes.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: Oh my goodness, there are so many adjectives to describe this book...beautiful, engrossing, seductive, mysterious, haunting, educational...I could go on and on. This is a book finished 5 days out that I can recall word for word certain sections of the book because they were either so beautiful, gut wrenching or had me on my seat!

To the reader of this review, I am already at almost 400 books for 2012, so normally I read a book and move on. It is impossible with this book. The characters were so deeply written that one could not help but become attached to them and to feel everything they felt. To boot, it was a mystery when I didn't even know that it was going to be a mystery! I think I walked out of that part with being reminded of the old saying that things aren't always as they appear.

At the heart of it though was an incredibly well written book that sucked me in immediately and didn't let me go until the final page. I stayed up late to read this life story of an incredibly strong early 1800's woman who wasn't afraid to love who she wanted to love and call what was wrong...wrong!

This is definitely a book I could see being made into a movie, but then again, I would be concerned with Hollywood destroying such a beautiful piece of literature!

Source:Publisher through Netgalley

Would I recommend? : Just recommended it for Book of the Month for my Goodreads group, Sisterhood of the Traveling Book

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment