Friday, September 28, 2012

A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway #4) by Elly Griffiths


Book: A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway #4)

Author: Elly Griffiths

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Archaeologist Ruth Galloway is called in to supervise the opening of the coffin of a medieval bishop. When she gets to the museum, though, she finds the body of the museum's director and the murder of the museum's owner is soon to follow. What is behind these murders? Is it a curse or something much more sinister and human?

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: Lovers of Kathy Reich's will enjoy this British archaeologist who gets into as much trouble as Temperance Brennan, but is much more approachable and imperfect than her American counterpart.

In general, I feel that the writing of Ms. Griffiths is much more approachable than Ms. Reich's current releases. The books still have the feeling of being fresh and the characters not worn out. Furthermore, I enjoy the characters of this book. As stated previously, they aren't perfect and have their character flaws, so one can generally put themselves into the storyline.

The story flowed incredibly well and left me guessing as to the ending. Drama and crime were very well balanced to keep my interest and to get to know the characters. I would like to see scenery developed a bit deeper. I have noted that this is a weakness with Ms. Griffith's writing. I like to feel "that I am in a scene and can picture it in my mind". This is something that I have noted has been missing across the board with all her books, but I do still consider them to be enjoyable despite this flaw.

On an ending note,as the books do build off one another and Ms. Griffith's writing is highly character driven, I do encourage readers to read the books in order to have a firm grasp of each character's development.


Source: Library 

Would I recommend? : Yes, I have the entire series.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Series

3 comments:

  1. For some reason I did not like this one as much. Ruth was not in it the way she was in the first three books. I will continue to read them and I can't wait for the 5th one to come out in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree..I thought this one was much more focused on her relationship with Nelson and his role as Kate's father, but I think those were questions that needed to be answered. I think that EG chose the right mystery to do that. I don't think if it was heavier into mystery that she could have answered those questions.

      Delete
  2. Good point! It was more focused on relationships this time, I think we had talked about her not being in the mystery part of the book so much this time.

    ReplyDelete