Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Far North (Fire and Ice #2) by Michael Ridpath


Book: Far North (Fire and Ice #2)

Author: Michael Ridpath

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 2010, in the midst of a credit catastrophe, Magnus Jonson, a Boston detective transplanted to Iceland, is brought in to investigate the suicide of a banker. Did the banker commit suicide or was it something much more sinister related to the deaths of numerous politicians and bankers surrounding the 2009 crash? What does an incident decades before witnessed by 2 little boys have to do with the devastation today?

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: Another winner from writer Michael Ridpath who can write Nordic Noir up there with some of the top authors of this genre, although he lives in London. Ridpath's writing and character development, excellently depicted in the first book of the series, Where the Shadows Lie,  continues to be strong.

This was the case with this novel. He weaves two stories in this novel and how they cross paths in the present. I must admit though that the storyline when based in the financial industry left me a tad bored when written about.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of series

Where the Shadows Lie (Fire and Ice #1)

 

2 comments:

  1. Seems very intriguing - love the covers and am becoming a fan of Nordic fiction.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Man of la Book! I love NN. I even have a group on Goodreads dedicated to it, so I tend to be pretty "snobbish" in what I consider to be NN. With not living in the "nordic" region, I find Ridpath to be an intelligent writer. I have even read some of his works set in London. Those tend to be a bit more "sarcastic" humor than this series. This series is one that is on my target list to see when new releases are coming out.

      Delete