Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tributary by Barbara K. Richardson




Book: Tributary

Author: Barbara K. Richardson

Release date (if applicable): September 15, 2012

Synopsis: Orphaned at the age of 6, Clair Martin is forced to grow up in Mormon Utah. When she becomes of age, as the common path, Clair is "encouraged" to become one of multiple wives. Wanting more for herself, she declines the "offer". Follow Clair's 30 year journey of hardships and happy times as an independent woman.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: I don't think there is enough that I can say about this book.

Followers of my blog know that I read a lot. Currently I am at over 400 books for 2012 and am hoping to reach 700 by the end of the year. Unfortunately, with reading that many books, frequently once a book is finished, it is out of site...out of mind.

Clair Martin will not have this issue. I recently participated in an interview about what makes a book a gem for me. A gem for me is a book that sucks me in with not only a spectacular storyline, but a dynamic, strong main character that makes my heart "glow" to the point it makes me smile at happy moments and feel the pain during sad moments. That was Clair Martin.

I can't leave this review without talking about the storyline. Not only was the main character of this book strongly written , but so was the storyline with deep descriptors of locations that made me feel as though I was inside Clair looking out and seeing what she saw.

Now, I do have to add that this is a book that I could easily see being made into a Hallmark Movie Channel movie, like Love Comes Softly or Sarah, Plain and Tall. If you like the characters and settings of those movies, Tributary is a book that you will fawn over.

I do have a side note. I tend to jump at books that are "compared" to my favorite writers with Willa Cather being my number one. I have read every Willa Cather book, several including My Antonia multiple times. I don't think it is right to compare Barbara Richardson to Willa Cather. Cather has a  poeticism to her works that was lacking in Tributary that was written somewhat in a more modern fashion. On that note, does it detract from the awesomeness of this book? Absolutely not, Tributary has its' own personality.

Now, I need to get on my soapbox for a minute. Tributary is a prime example of dynamic Indie authors and publishers that produce high quality product that can compete with any traditional house publishing novels. OK, off my soapbox!

Source: Publisher for review

Would I recommend? : I can't recommend this book enough!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

3 comments:

  1. Naomi, thanks for this insightful review--and the soapbox plug for indie authors and presses! I first met Clair Martin in an early draft of Tributary nearly a year ago, and it sounds as if you had the same experience with Clair and her landscapes as did I. Kudos to Barb and happy reading to you, Naomi. Best wishes, Kirsten Allen (Torrey House Press)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten! This is a book that will stay with me for a very long time!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review, Naomi. I saw through Clair's eyes for twenty years, so it's great to know you could, too!

    I agree, no one writes like Willa Cather. And she inspires so many of us to try!

    ReplyDelete