Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Barcelona Heiress: A Novel by Sergio Vila-Sanjuan


Book: A Barcelona Heiress: A Novel

Author: Sergio Vila-Sanjuan

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1920's Spain, which is on the cusp of Civil War, the living differences between the rich and the poor are glaring and those with their own agendas are manipulating the system. Simmering beneath the surface is someone murdering individuals whom have been found innocent of their crimes by the courts.

Narrated from the perspective of Pablo Vilar, an attorney and journalist, who is always being manipulated from the interest groups wanting their own stories told, and loves an heiress, who seems to be able to mix with all these groups flawlessly. Is the heiress all she seems to be or is there something much deeper under the surface.

My rating: 2.5 Stars

My opinion: Although the premise of the story was interesting to me and the description of the setting was superb, I couldn't connect to any of the characters and found them to be written very one dimensionally.  As a result, this book simply fell flat to me. I wish the author would have put as much effort into character development as he did into developing and describing his setting. I think had he done that, this would have been a 4 star read for me.

Source:  Netgalley for Open Road Media

Would I recommend? : No

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment