Friday, March 29, 2013

Here Among Us by Maggie Harryman





Book: Here Among Us
 
Author: Maggie Harryman
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: This book is pretty hard to describe, but let me give it a try.  Unemployed entertainment attorney Flynn O'Shea and her daughter, Didi,  are called back to New Jersey to celebrate Thanksgiving with her sister Maeve and her unhappy family, her "failure to launch" brother,  and a mother with early stage Alzheimer's Disease. Deep family secrets and  dysfunction are abound in this women's lit novel.
 
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: I have to be honest with the reader of this review, this story didn't necessarily keep me interested. I found it to be slightly predictable and melodramatic, which can be found in numerous books of the same genre. 

As a former social worker in long term care/senior services, what really impacted me to give the book 3 stars was how the author nailed the family dysfunction (sometimes deep seated), which often accompanies or is exacerbated by the diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease/Dementia. 
 
Source: Author for review
        
Would I recommend? : For the right audience.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


No comments:

Post a Comment