Friday, May 24, 2013

Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan #1) by Luke Delaney





Book: Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan #1)
 
Author: Luke Delaney
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: A serial killer is loose on the streets of London. DI Sean Corrigan, with his own history, and his team are hot on the trails of the killer. Do they have right person or does the killer have competition?
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: I have found a new series to stalk. This book hooked me from page one and never let go. The storyline, while masterfully twisted, didn't go overboard. This book was a wonderful example of why I love British mystery writers so much.

The style that this book was written was too much and really added to my thorough enjoyment of the story. I wouldn't say there were two POV presented. The chapters alternated between the telling the story that you see in any old book and that of the killer giving the reader a voyeuristic look of the story from his perspective. I wouldn't call it stream of consciousness writing though. 

A word of criticism cuz that is me and no book is perfect: The writing, while superb, could have been tighted up a bit, BUT this is a debut novel. I would expect some of this. I have no doubt that if this author is able to tighten up his writing, which with the level of writing portrayed in a debut, this series will be 5 star reads for me. I found I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoy the works of Val McDermid and S.J. Bolton.

I must also admit that I figured the killer out about half way through. That did not leave me disappointed with a lack of cold-hearted twists. This author managed to work in some rockin' ones.  
 
Source:  Edelweiss for William Morrow
     
Would I recommend? : Already have
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: First in series

No comments:

Post a Comment