Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cookbook Review: The Soup and Bread Cookbook: Pairings for Simple Satisfying Meals by Beatrice Ojakangas






**Be sure to watch The Pub and Grub Forum for recipes from this cookbook!**



Book: The Soup and Bread Cookbook: Pairings for Simple Satisfying Meals
 
Author: Beatrice Ojakangas
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): October 8, 2013

Synopsis: A collection of unusual soup and bread recipes/pairings separated by the seasons. The bread recipes had a variety of difficulties from easy "batter" breads to more involved yeast breads. Sandwiches, cracker and fruit soup recipes were also present. This book is further supplemented with stunning pictures to accompany the recipes. Recipes ranged from simple to prepare to more involved recipes. 

SOME of my favorites:

Monkey Bread
Flowerpot Rolls
New Chive and Potato Soup
Bacon Parmesan Crackers
Mexican Style Cornbread 
Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cowboy Beer and Cheddar Bread
Almojabanas (Colombian Cheese Rolls)
Oatmeal Batter Bread
Green Cabbage and Hamburger Soup
Easy Cream of Tomato Soup (partnered with a killer lookin' grilled cheese sandwich)
Quick Yeast Buns 
Several Pretzel Recipes

My rating: 5 Stars
 
My opinion: What a beautiful cookbook this was. The book was loaded down with unusual, beautifully laid out and explained recipes for breads, soups and sandwiches that were divided into seasonal recipes. Now, I must admit that I did prefer the recipes for the sandwiches and breads over the soup recipes. Pictures of finished product were also plentiful. I think if I did have a criticism of the book, due to its difficulty, I would like to have seen more detailed breakdowns of working with yeast breads. 


Source:   Netgalley for Rogale Books
     
Would I recommend? : Yes and I have recommended it numerous times since reviewing it.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment