Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Inquisitor's Wife: A Novel of Renaissance Spain by Jeanne Kalogridis





Book: The Inquisitor's Wife: A Novel of Renaissance Spain
 
Author: Jeanne Kalogridis
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: It is 1480 in Madrid Spain and the Spanish Inquisition is in full force. Marisol, a Spanish Conversa (Jewish individual who has been forcibly converted to Christianity) is forced into a sham marriage with Gabriel, a prosecutor. Thing is...as a result of her mother's Jewish teachings during Marisol's childhood, Marisol is still secretly practicing her Jewish religion...not good for a Spanish Inquisition prosecutor's wife. Then all hell breaks loose when the love of Marisol's life, Antonio, a soldier against the Inquisition, returns to town.  

Was the marriage truly an arranged marriage to blossom into love or did Gabriel marry Marisol as bait to capture the big prize of Antonio? 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: I loved this book. This is my first book by this author and it certainly won't be the last.

The character development in this book was superb with characters drawn so vividly that I felt like I could reach out and touch them. What I love about the characters the most is that when you think you have them pinned down, Ms. Kalogridis throws in twists to change their characters. It left me on the seat of my chair. 

I would say that this applies to plot twists as well. I thought the book would be going one way and the author would change it. It would be done slowly and methodically though so it really came off well. 

I am not well versed in the Spanish Inquisition and few Historical Fiction novels are set during this period of time. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about incidents during it. 
 
Source:  Netgalley for St. Martin's Press
      
Would I recommend? : Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment