Friday, September 20, 2013

The Advent of Murder (A Faith Morgan Mystery) by Martha Ockley



Book: The Advent of Murder (A Faith Morgan Mystery)
 
Author: Martha Ockley
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Faith Morgan, village vicar and former police officer, is preparing for the Christmas pagent when she heads over to local farmer, Oliver Markham's farm to discuss it with him. Thing is that when she gets there, the farm is surrounded with police cars, police tape and her partner for the pageant the main suspect in the murder of a local teen found dead along the side of his river. Did he really do it? Does it have to do with the local drug trade who have their own list of suspects or does someone else in the village have a secret to hide? With Oliver tied up by the police, will the Christmas pageant go on?
 
My rating: 4 stars
 
My opinion: I thought this was a cute and well-written cozy, but please note that it is a cozy thus not a really deep storyline. On that note, I must admit that I did enjoy the storyline because, while it wasn't deep, it wasn't sticky sweet like the majority of the cozy mysteries that I have read. Another winner for me was that most of the cozies I have read have been set in US cities so I loved the "English Village" setting in this one. I was reminded of one of my favorite English mysteries "Midsomer Murders" with its quirky characters who all know one another, yet aren't who the "portray" to the public and have lots of little secrets to hide.

ETA: In posting this to Amazon, I noticed its price of $11 for the Kindle price. While I enjoyed this book, I will say that I would NEVER have paid that price for this book. Its price point is WAY too high! 

Source:  Netgalley for Lion Hudson PLC
      
Would I recommend? : Yes, and this is a series I will continue. It is cute without being nauseating!
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of series

No comments:

Post a Comment