Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Seriously Bitter Sweet: The Ultimate Dessert Maker's Guide to Chocolate by Alice Medrich



Book: Seriously Bitter Sweet: The Ultimate Dessert Maker's Guide to Chocolate
 
Author: Alice Medrich
 
Narrator (if applicable):N/A

Release date (if applicable): October 29, 2013

Synopsis: The author presents over 150 tested recipes with varying percentages of chocolates. Recipes included confectioneries, pies tarts and cakes. 
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: Although I truly enjoyed this book, I felt there was definitely aspects of the book missing. Among these was a definite need for additional pictures of the "process". These recipes had levels of difficulty to them, which, in my humble opinion, would have benefited from additional pictures. I did feel that the pictures of the completed desserts that were given were GORGEOUS, but more fitting for a table book versus a recipe book, especially when the baker doesn't have specific images of how the dessert should look at critical times of baking process to ensure that he/she is on target.

On that note, these recipes were most definitely for a more advanced baker, but were identified as being easy enough for a novice baker. I say no way to that. I am experienced in my baking and there were recipes that I would have had to have taken my time with and/or seriously thought out the process. 

On a side note, I must admit that I found the author's personal stories entertaining. In the past, I have ripped cookbooks apart for that, but it worked in this one, particularly because there were moments that increased my knowledge.


Source:   Artisan Books 
     
Would I recommend? : Yes, but try to look at a sample at a brick/mortar store or a library to ensure your baking skills match what is necessary for this book. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment