Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Boards The Lead: When to Take Charge, When to Partner and When to Get Out of the Way by Ram Charan





Book: Boards The Lead: When to Take Charge, When to Partner and When to Get Out of the Way 
 
Author: Ram Charan
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable):  Published

Synopsis: Boards can make or break a company. Mr. Charan offers advice for optimal participation by boards that can catapult an organization into the next higher level of performance. 

Information is offered on such topics as:
+ Hiring board directors
+ Firing ineffective or dysfunctional directors
+ Board ethics development
+ Board interactions with management

Case studies include companies such as:

+Apple
+Boeing
+Lenova

My rating: 4 Stars


 
My opinion: This book is an absolute winner and another example of why Ram Charan is one of my favorite business writers. 

Mr. Charan wrote Boards That Lead in a CONCISE case study/example format with important  take-aways at the end of each chapter to stress what needs to be ingrained in the reader's head.  Since this is a common format of his, he is one of the business writers that I learn most from.

One criticism that I must admit that I had of the book is that Mr. Charan mainly focused on very large, Fortune 500 companies. I would have liked to have seen some smaller/mid sized companies included in the case studies. Also, a focus on different sectors and industries would have been appreciated, such as non-profit, healthcare. 

Nevertheless, this book is in my business book pile to purchase. I think that there was enough to garner from the book that a "best practices" approach would apply. 
 
Source:  Publisher for review
      
Would I recommend? : Definitely. Purchase the print book though. I reviewed the ebook version and was thinking about the "critical data" note-taking that I was missing out on. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone
 




No comments:

Post a Comment