Monday, July 7, 2014

The Kept: A Novel by James Scott



Book: The Kept: A Novel
 
Author: James Scott
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Set in upper New York state at the end of the 19th century, midwife Elspeth Howell returns to her family's farm after delivering a child only to find that her husband and all but one of her children have been slaughtered. As she walks around the farm, she herself is shot, but not murdered. When she comes to, she finds her son has survived the slaying by hiding in a closet. Who would want to slaughter this farming family? Could the truth be uglier than what Elspeth thinks?
 
My rating: 3 stars
 
My opinion:  This book started off much stronger to me than it ended. I saw a progressive deterioration of the storyline. In fact, I have to say that I was rather disappointed with the ending and felt the author could have gone much darker than what he did. On that note, I will admit that I didn't see what I expected in the mystery unraveling so that was somewhat a nice surprise, but not enough to bump up its rating in my head. 

The author's writing was good and the character development was excellent. He did an excellent job of offering readers a very dark and atmospheric story.  

 
Source:  Publisher for review
      
Would I recommend? : I would recommend other books above this. I liked the book, but I didn't love it. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment