Saturday, March 19, 2016

Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7) by Brian Freeman

Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)




Book: Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7)

Author: Brian Freeman

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Stride's past is coming back to haunt him when a gun used in a previous crime is used in the brutal murder of another person. Did Stride get the killer wrong sending an innocent woman to prison for the murder of her husband?

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: GOOD GAWD, this series never gets old. Freeman has managed to take us back to solve two murders. The first when Stride's wife, Cindy, is still alive and diagnosed with cancer and the present involving his new love and fellow detective, Serena Dial and new charge, Cat Winters. Along the way, we get a complete picture of the pain that Stride holds internally that blocks him from his emotional growth in his current relationship.  

Flipping from past to present, as predicted, Freeman pulls this off seamlessly and builds pulse pounding momentum to the very last scene in the book. I could not put this book down from the second it showed up on my doorstep. 

I wouldn't expect any less from this author and, as usual, he delivered. It always amazes me how he, after seven releases, can keep this series as fresh as the first. 

So, don't trust me? Let me give you my husband's perspective. While coming down for his monthly visit, upon entering our apartment, his eyes immediately went to our bookshelf where the book was sitting and immediately widened. I got a "What the hell? You are holding out!" He picked the book up immediately and was done with it forty eight hours later. My husband has nowhere the speed that I have in reading, so this was quite the feat. 

Source: Publisher for review. 

Would I recommend? : Hell yes! Today and now! Brian Freeman is on my list for top 3 American mystery writers and this series is the reason why. Do yourself a favor though....start with book one. I say this with every release. Brian Freeman is one of the most character driven authors I know. It is well worth your time because I know that I have a deeper appreciation and attachment to the characters having done so. 


Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Number 7 in series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment